Trustpilot's trick to incite people to access their site

Do you know how Trustpilot plays the trick to incite people to access their site?

1, They make their team(maybe they hire freelancers to do this) sign up in a lot of popular social sites or tech communities, such as Twitter, and GitHub.
2, They make the new accounts follow a lot of accounts.
3, They expose the contact email addresses on the bio.
4, There are a lot of marketers scraping profiles on social media.
5, Their contact email addresses are scraped by the marketers.
6, The marketers send cold emails to them.
7, They get excuses to list and criticize the brands on Trustpilot that the marketers work for.
8, Google helped Trustpilot get a high rank to be listed on search results.
9, The marketers see the bad reviews listed on Google search results, and then access Trustpilot to flag the reviews or explain the reasons.

Most of the review sites work in this way.
That’s why few reviews speak of the key points, such as the quality and features, instead, review sites are full of complaints about spam. Complaints about spam actually are not serious, but they can mislead the viewpoints about the products’ quality and features. A lot of good startups are destroyed by complaints.
We don’t like spam, but don’t they(reviewers) think the punishment for spam is too heavy compared to the efforts that the startups made?

3 Likes

Thank you for your sharing.

But… trustpilot is cunning, so they may ask you for evidence.
They will say this “trick” is just your imagination about how they are working.

2 Likes

I checked your brand profile on Trustpilot.
You asked for evidence, right? When the reviewers defame your brand.
Did they give you any evidence?
And you contested, and flagged the reviews, right?
What did Trustpilot reply?
“The reviews are Not harmful”. I remembered you cited their reply in another topic.

3 Likes

Yes, they concluded the reviews are not harmful, even if the reviewers have no evidence.

2 Likes

They didn’t provide evidence for defamation against other businesses.
Why do we need to provide evidence for our viewpoints?
This is fair and equal treatment.

3 Likes

I have a question.
Do you remember the first time they listed your brand on their site?
When? What for?

3 Likes

Yes, of course I remembered.
It’s last year, a guy complained that we spam him.

2 Likes

Alright, what did you do?
You contested because they listed your brand without authorization, right?

3 Likes

Yeah, I was upset.
Because it’s the first time that a site posted negative information about our brand and a person completely outside of our company and industry created a business profile without any authorization or notification.
I was shocked by such a bad experience.

2 Likes

What did they(Trustpilot) reply?

3 Likes

I need to search my email history to get it.
I will revert to you here asap.

2 Likes

They sent me an email:

"
Hi Mark,

Amos here from Trustpilot, how are you?

Thanks for signing up for a Trustpilot account, wondering if you would be interested to have a further chat around our paid plans and how we work with other businesses in a similar industry such as Fintechee?

Feel free to email me, and we could book a time, have a great week ahead!

Amos Chia
ACCOUNT DEVELOPMENT REPRESENTATIVE
61 PORTER ST, PRAHRAN VIC 3181
"

2 Likes

That makes sense.
Interesting, the purpose is so clear. They incited you to buy their paid plan…lol

3 Likes

Yeah.
After I contested, they replied:
"
Hi Mark,

That is not good to hear that it has affected your M&A price quote. You could look at inviting your customers to leave a review and set up the automated process with Trustpilot, understandable that you are a busy businessman and do not have time to discuss here, but if you do have time, feel free to chat here and I am more than happy to help. Thank you and have a nice day.

Amos Chia

Account Development representative

61 PORTER ST, PRAHRAN VIC 3181

"

2 Likes

That’s absolutely extortion.
lol

You requested removing the fake reviews, but they didn’t respond directly to apologize for the loss that you suffered, instead, they asked you to invite more people to access their site.

They are obviously irresponsible…
Just saying “That is not good to hear…”

3 Likes

I didn’t stop discussing it. I sent emails to complain they violate my reputation.
Maybe they think I have nothing to squeeze(I’m completely not interested in their redundant service), so, they never replied anymore.

2 Likes

Now, do you still think we need to provide evidence for our viewpoints?

3 Likes

Actually, my thought didn’t change.
All along I don’t think we need to provide evidence to an irresponsible organization.
I just hope to find a legal way to restore the truth.

2 Likes

Understood.
If you need help, please DM me and I will introduce the best attorneys in Denmark to you.

3 Likes